I remember when a 20" monitor was a big deal, and 2 years ago they cost around $500. Well, seems like Moore's Law is working its way into LCD displays, and prices are dropping. But there are so many models and manufacturers, it's often hard to find that sweet spot between quality and value.MacWorld has just done a series of reviews on six 20" widescreen LCD monitors. These aren't the uber-expensive monitors for graphic professionals, and the review doesn't even include what has been my monior-mainstay: the Dell UltraSharp line. So I guess these would be considered value monitors geared more towards the consumer. Personally, I'm more worried about having a quality monitor for my video and less for my computer work-space. As long, as the color is decent, and the graphics crisp, I'm usually fine with my computer display.
With that philosophy in mind, it looks like they identify a couple of good monitors with words like "affordable", "inexpensive", and "effective" featured prominently in the reviews. The NEC MultiSync LCD205WXM monitor scored highest with a rating of 4 out of 5. The Dell E207WFP LCD monitor (not an UltraSharp) and the Samsung SyncMaster 206BW LCD monitor both got a rating of 3.5 out of 5. Also below I've thrown in some links to a HP 24" monitor (rating:4) and a ViewSonic 22" monitor (rating:3) that MacWorld has reviewed in the last 6 months.
NEC MultiSync LCD205WXM monitor 4 mice
Dell E207WFP LCD monitor 3.5 mice
Samsung SyncMaster 206BW LCD monitor 3.5 mice
BenQ FP202W V3 monitor 3 mice
Envision G2016wa LCD monitor 3 mice
HP w2007 monitor 3 mice
ViewSonic VA2026w LCD monitor 3 mice
HP LP2465 flat panel monitor4 mice
Large wide-screen LCD display offers good value
ViewSonic VX2245wm ViewDock monitor 3 mice
NEC Multisync LCD225WXM
Mac Life looks at the 22" NEC (the bigger brother to the 20" NEC that MacWorld likes) and gave it a 3 out of 5 rating. Good for office use, but not much beyond that. Complains about banding in gradients--ew, that's not good. Makes you wonder if the 22" performs worse than the 20" or if Mac Life has higher standards than MacWorld.
1 comment:
Can anyone recommend the top Remote Desktop utility for a small IT service company like mine? Does anyone use Kaseya.com or GFI.com? How do they compare to these guys I found recently: N-able N-central system management
? What is your best take in cost vs performance among those three? I need a good advice please... Thanks in advance!
Post a Comment