Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Will Your Next Project Come from a $150 Camcorder?

Check this out:
"Flip Video Vlog: A Tale of Two Formats"

This guy literally taped a $150 Flip camcorder to a Canon XH-A1 and made the same exact film on both cameras. You can watch them back to back on his website. Basically, there's not too much difference when watching them in web video, and I couldn't hear much difference on my MacBook Pro's speakers (the audio for the Flip footage was recorded on an iPod using a microphone accessory.)

Now on a TV, I'm sure the difference would be readily apparent (not to mention the fact that the XH-A1 is a nice high-def camera and the Flip only records 640x480.) Oh and the Flip doesn't even have an optical zoom not to mention dozens of features that a $3000 camcorder has. But it does make you think about how cheaply and easily someone can make something now that is very watchable.

If you are interested more in reading more about the Flip camcorder, check out this review at the New York Times (registration req'd.) Their tech guy David Pogue shoots his video blog on the Flip phone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I kinda see the difference in two, though. But I get the point, yeah, if the final distribution format of a film is on web, you can get away with that small camera. To be honest, I am liking to shoot with my small HV20 since it's super convenient to carry around!