Saturday, December 13, 2008

DVD's Bad for Archiving

Homemade DVD’s: Going, Going, Gone?

Following up my on recent post about disapperaing data on hard drives, comes a warning about the short lifespans of recordable DVD's. David Pogue, the technology writer for the New York Times, mentions some DVD's he made that after 2 years were already unreadable on many computers. I was taken aback by 2 years. I knew recordable DVD's didn't have a really long lifespan, but I was hoping for something more like 10 years.

The short takeaway is that recordable DVD's are not an archiving format. They are a distribution format.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

DVD's I'v recorded a few years back also are now unplayable. Only pressed disks last.

Haven't tried "archival" disks yet.

But I never bought into the "take your 20 year old and still playable VHS tape and "archive" it onto DVD." Uh, maybe we should just buy VHS decks and store them so the tapes- which have shown excellent durability- can still be played years from now.

Viva la tape!