Tuesday, June 12, 2007

HD Discs and Macs

Steve Jobs' keynote at WWDC was a bit of a downer. No new great hidden features were revealed, just some Finder improvements. Some of the new iChat stuff was interesting. I could see using the iChat Theater to review an edit. The iChat Screen Sharing could help me show my parents how to do stuff on their Macs. The ability to easily set up access to a remote computer with .Mac could be handy if I can get it to work with the company firewall and get into my office network.

I was hoping there would be an annoucement about Mac's supporting either Blu-Ray or HD-DVD, so we could get a little high-def movie action on Mac's. Vista can handle playback of these formats, and PC makers are already selling desktops and laptops that will playback both formats, but nothing for Mac's. Is Apple hoping to make a splash of their own with a high-def movie rental service? I hope they don't treat HD-DVD and Blu-Ray as threats and ignore support. For us video professionals, we can't afford to lose support for any type of major distribution format because Jobs is trying to capture the market on digital movies, like he did with digital music.

"Leopard to support HD DVD and Blu-ray?"
"Apple shooting for autumn launch of film rental service - report"

No comments: