Sunday, July 1, 2007

Prices Dropping on Big LCD Displays

For years, I've been dreaming about replacing my two small LCD monitors with one 24" LCD display. This year has seen some big prices drops with a lot more competition in the 24" LCD market.

A big benefit of the 24" LCD is its resolution, which can display the full raster of 1920x1080 HD video. Some displays like the 24" from Gateway even do a decent job of displaying HD video, as well as working as a good computer display. (BTW, in tests I was not happy with how the Dell 24" LCD did displaying video--it makes a great computer monitor though.)

Now competition is heating up with more LCD brands getting in the mix. Within the last year there was a lot of competition in the 22" and 20" display range and prices have fallen dramatically. I even see deals for a 20" display for around $200 at dealmac. Last year, you couldn't get a 24" below $600. Now CompUSA has an Acer 24" for $450. I can't say if this is a decent display, but it definitely signals some changes in pricing. Viewsonic is selling a 28" display with 1920x1200 raster for about the same price as a Dell 24" display. Makes 24" sound kind of paltry.

Apple isn't interested in price competition. They excel at style and they don't really have any competition in that game. Their 23" is still running at $899. There are some legitimate reasons to choose Apple's 23". Not just to impress clients. Namely I was thinking of its ability to do a great job of displaying HD for criticial applications with products like the Matrox MXO.

No comments: