I often get asked for recommendations for hard drives for editing. Personally, I've probably bought 10 G-RAID's in the last couple of years and haven't lost any data yet (knock on wood.) Although, I know folks who have, and I have had some problems with these units.
One of my big concerns with G-RAID's is that they are RAID 0. As this article ("Don't get burned by RAID zero") points out RAID 0's have three potential points of failure--two hard drives, and the RAID controller. If any of these fails, you are hosed.
I also recently discovered that G-RAID's performance drops significantly, even dramatically, when used in a daisy-chain fashion (especially write speeds.)
At the moment, I'm still not satisfied with the alternatives for my lean budgets. So I'll probably buy some more G-RAID's in the future, but when people ask I can't whole-heartedly recommend them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment