Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Check Your G5's for Leaks

Several of the Power Mac G5's used a liquid cooling system. It's basically like having a radiator around your processors. Most of the G5's were air-cooled. I think it was only the dual 2.5 GHz released in 2004, the dual 2.7 GHz released in 2005 and the Quad G5 that had the liquid-cooling system.

I remember thinking at the time that I would avoid these systems because of concerns that the liquid cooling would eventually leak, damaging the computer. Well, we got a good deal on a dual 2.5 GHz in the summer '05 and it has been used to edit Mosaic since then. Knock on wood, no problems yet. I also use a Quad G5 now.

Xlr8yourmac.com is keeping track of reports of leaking G5's. Very disheartenging. These leaks cause major problems and Apple is not being too helpful with the very expensive repairs. Worth keeping an eye (or in some cases an ear) out for any potential problems--the sooner the leak is discovered, the better.

Photos here at hardmac.com. Warning, these are graphic images that some readers may find distrubing. Enough to keep me up at night.

No comments: