Sunday, August 12, 2007

iMovie 6 for Free

Apple released iMovie '08 (skipping '07 all together) as part of the new iLife '08 suite. Apple has really changed the application--some say for better, others for worse. I like that it provides a way to catalog video like you can catalog photos in iPhoto. I have a new niece, and my Mom is going bonkers recording movies on her flash-memory camera/camcorder. This new iMovie will be great for sorting through all those movies easily.

They have also simplified the edtiting process. After watching demos, it does look like it is a really fast way to put something simple together. I taught my Mom iMovie, and it was maddening for me to figure out how to cut in older versions of iMovie. But some features have been taken out it seems in transitioning to the simpler editing approach.

Apparently to compensate for high system requirements for iMovie '08, Apple is giving away iMovie 6 (the previous version) for free here. You're supposed to have iLife '08 to install it, but there are workarounds. xlr8yourmac.com has details on the workarounds (sorry, I don't have a direct link to the workarounds info on the site.)

No comments: