I did a big post on Final Cut Server last month. If you have not read it, please do. It covers what FC Server is and also lays out how we could use it at Link. This article is extra credit for folks who are really interested in the software.
I went to a presentation on Final Cut Server. It was hosted by Advanced Systems Group. They had a guy from Apple there to talk about the software. Then another guy gave a spiel about how you really want an expert to set up and customize FC Server. They gave some examples where you'll want an expert--setting up a web interface to videos, interacting with automation/playout servers.
One thing I realized at the presentation is that our metadata situation with our Final Cut projects is poor to useless. I know I rarely label clips with helpful info. I try to name projects accurately with the title of a project, but sometimes I don't get it right or the project name changes. Even tape numbers are not always entered or done so accurately. What's the point of having a giant database if you can't search with confidence that you'll actually find what you are looking for? Not to mention an ideal functionality like having files indexed with useful metadata so you could do keyword searches, say "insurgent attacks" and get some dramatic footage from Mosaic.
At our office editors usually haven't collaborated. I usually took an attitude of "if I can find it/figure it out, that's all that matters." But that kind of attitude is the opposite of what's needed for asset management. Extra work needs to go into getting good metadata with your media. Since we don't have the option of hiring a librarian to organize things, that means more work for the editors probably who have to have bought into the process. If they haven't then things will slack off and the metadata won't get entered.
While Final Cut Server does everything that I wrote about in my last post on it, the Apple guy and the ASG folks were really pushing that you have to have an expert to set it up. I think I could get it to do everything that I discussed in my last post with the caveat about searching through poor metadata.
We've talked about hosting media from Mosaic on the web. Again, FC Server won't do this on its own. But it seems like it would be a good spot to organize that media. Then with automation scripting in FC Server, you could hand off the media to a website that handles the front-end, movie hosting, etc. FC Server would be where staff would import media and attach metadata to make it useful for users. FC Server could automatically hand it off to a system to handle the web part with scripting done by somebody knowledgeable.
Below are the notes that I took at the session:
Once a project is imported into FC Server you need to check in and check out. If you keep a copy locally and work with it again after import, then FC Server will think it's a new file when you try to put it back into FC Server. So basically it adds an extra step to opening a project--you have to check it out of FC Server first. Then you have to check it back in to get it to FC Server to update the media for it. Looks like more work for the editor, who has to have bought into the process--otherwise, he or she will just keep everything locally.
Showed a cool video about Radical Media
Translation done in China and FC Server handled ftp for cutting in New York. Complex workflow with steps and notification automated. Required scripting to make FC Server work with ftp server. Process also described in this white paper called "Final Cut Server in Depth" (PDF download.) Translation was added as subtitles using the title tool in Final Cut Pro. BTW, that's extra work for the translator. For Latin Pulse we do subtitles and it takes a lot of time. Translation is done first by someone with good Spanish and English, then spotting and creation of titles is done afterwards by someone who doesn't need language skills that are that strong. (Another step is me reviewing all of the subtitles, suggesting rewrites, adjusting the layout of the titles, and editing if the translation is too long to get read in real time.)
Check out Final Cut Pro projects from Server
Options to handle media when you check out a project
-Edit in place (doesn't do anything really)
-Edit proxies (good for taking a project home for the weekend or on the road)
-Disconnected use (makes a copy of the project and its media, like media manager)
Can't use project until it is checked back in. That is folks can't work on the same FCP project at the same time.
Media manager only recommended if you are creating a whole new version of a project. Again you have to play by FC Server's rule if you want it to track your stuff well.
Demo'd a web interface to log and annotate clips. But this was only a demo version and is not part of the softare. This was a "what you could do" if you are web developer or could afford to hire one. Hmm, well I'm not and we can't for what I do.
FC Server Strategy Meeting--topics for discussion
-Storage plan (for proxy files)
-Type of proxies
-Workflow strategy (what do you do with your media, where does it go, how does it get there, who does what with the media, aka Who, What, Where, Why, When, and How)
-Users
-Advanced automation
-email notifications
-Compression & distribution
-Web review (again not part of the product)
-"Customer" access to FCS
Automated backup can be done--setup rules for when to backup
For example: if file hasn't been touched in a certain amount of time, move to backup storage
Don't have to do an initial scan that sucks in all of your media, it may be better to add project by project. That way, you can be more thorough with metadata.
Annotate is where you can tag in and out markers and comments on clips. Apple guy said that this is supposed to be for transfer of this info back to FCP, but he didn't know how to do it/if it could be done now. Originally, there was going to be similar functionality to make simple edited sequences--I think those would have been transfered back through XML files. But Apple guy said no editing functionality but he "hoped" that they would add that feature because they touted it last year. Annotate is where producers could check out clips for editing and mark ins and outs for editors. It would be great if that could get into FCP. It would still be great for the producers to mark ins and outs on media directly on the clips as opposed to making notes on paper based on time code from a Beta or DV or timer from DVD. But without sending that info back to FCP, editor has to manually transfer in and out points.
Does it work with stills? Sure. FC Server is based on the Artbox software, which was originally written for still images. Also useful for getting producers to sign off on graphics. No need to drag Wendy into the editing room for her to look at something, which (I hope) she will just say OK to anyway. Yeah, for real collaboration you have to be in the same room but for quick and dirty this would be really nice to speed things up.
Suggestions from presenters that FC Serve can read After Effects files to get the links to the media that the project uses. That would be cool.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Did you have to set up XSAN with your FC server? I know that can get pretty costly if you don't just use ethernet, and you go the fibre channel route.
How can i remove windows xp from my laptop and reinstall windows Me -the laptops original software?
I suffer with recently bought a acquainted with laptop that is old. The living soul I had bought it from had installed windows xp on it, regular although it at came with windows Me. I fall short of to eradicate the windows xp because it runs slows on the laptop because it takes up more honour than the windows Me would. Also I wish to transfer windows xp because it is an wrongful copy. So when I tried to stir one's stumps updates on it, windows would not initiate updates because the windows xp is not genuine. [URL=http://hukkzua.hostific.com]air regulator 1-10 psi[/URL]
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Answers :
It's haler to relinquish [URL=http://gveeauo.hostific.com/julie-cavanaugh-louisiana.html]julie cavanaugh louisiana[/URL] Windows XP and good upgrade your laptop. It's much better. [URL=http://rnnvevj.hostific.com/ryan-mccuan.html]ryan mccuan[/URL] Besides, Windows XP is trail [URL=http://picdemi.hostific.com/kat-von-d-naked.html]kat von d naked[/URL] better then Windows Me. Windows Me is obsolete and many programs that can come across with XP, can't [URL=http://kouuvvs.hostific.com/marion-a-kelly-chula-vista-california.html]marion a kelly chula vista california[/URL] run with Me.
------------------------------
all you participate in to do is addition the windows me disk into the cd drive. then reboot your laptop, when the malignant [URL=http://zanqmez.hostific.com/mixology-questions.html]mixology questions[/URL] sift with all the info comes up and when it asks u to boot from cd [URL=http://vwolvoa.hostific.com/andersons-general-store.html]andersons general store[/URL] belt any clue when it tells you to then put from there !!! I RECOMEND SINCE ITS AN ILLEAGLE IMITATION TO WIPE [URL=http://syaioag.hostific.com/ameraucana-chickens.html]ameraucana chickens[/URL] MANIFEST THE [URL=http://vguumtr.hostific.com/tagalog-alamat-ng-gubat.html]tagalog alamat ng gubat[/URL] CONTINUOUS HARD PUSH WHEN IT ASKS YOU WHICH UNDENIABLE [URL=http://noxynjc.hostific.com/mcafee-speedometer.html]mcafee speedometer[/URL] GOAD TO POSITION IT ON. THEN ADD ALL THE UNUSED PAUSE ON THE INSINCERE [URL=http://xoqzfgh.hostific.com/g-3025-bh.html]g 3025 bh[/URL] REALISTIC CONSTRAIN ONTO A BRAND-NEW COLUMN LOCATION, IT WILL LOOK LIKE C:/ Raw or something like that
Post a Comment