Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Colorista Video Demo

A while back, I mentioned the release of Magic Bullet's Colorista, a plug-in for color correction. I thought the presets were cool, but in the back of my mind I thought "I'm sure I could get these effects with the 3-Way Color Corrector if I put my mind to it." Well, this video demo of Colorista shows why I was wrong. Colorista seems like a quick way to go if you want to get a moody look like you've see in feature films and TV shows. You can see in the demo how the blacks in Colorista stay black when an effect to the "shadows" is applied, where with the 3-way filter the blacks get tinted purple when the "shadows" are adjusted.

The maker of Colorista just wrote a book DV Rebel's Handbook where he argues that the online should be done in After Effects because its image controls and effects capability far outweigh anything in Final Cut Pro. A post on the ProLost blog talks about his argument for onlining in After Effects. I'm not going to be doing that anytime soon (and I hope never), but Stu Maschwitz clearly has good reasons for advocating it.

No comments: