Sunday, February 4, 2007

Quick Editing of DVD's

I picked up a copy of the magazine MacWorld at the MacWorld Expo. There's something to be said for a good magazine, and I found a number of good tidbits.

Here's a description of how to quickly edit DVD's found under "Editing old home videos" in this Mac 911 column. It uses MPEG Streamclip which is the Swiss Army knife of MPEG and free to boot. With MPEG Streamclip, you can do some simple cutting on a VOB files from a DVD without having to transcode it into something that Final Cut likes, like the DV codec.

I've also been able to do this without Toast. In the past, freeware MovieGate has worked with a headed M2V exported out of MPEG Streamclip. MovieGate's a bit funky but in the past it's let me work without Toast to make a DVD straight from a M2V file.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This Mac 911 article well summarized the process of editing VOB files. (I should print it out for the future reference.) I remember you mentioned that QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component is necessary to do this. But I'm not quite sure why this is required... Do you know why?

Matt said...

Kyung, QuickTime does not have native support for the playback of MPEG-2 files. MPEG-2 is the encoding format used by DVD's. I'm not sure why, but Apple charges $20 if you want to be able to use QuickTime to play MPEG-2 files. MPEG Streamclip uses the QuickTime architecture to work on the MPEG files. So without Apple's QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component, you can't do much with MPEG Streamclip. As the article mentions, the MPEG-2 Playback Component comes included with Final Cut Pro or DVD Studio Pro.

Anonymous said...

Again this is a good article! I have some of my videos that are in DVDs. I edited them with FCP5 and I don't have FCP5 on my system. I can do some editing on them with MPEG streamclip. I hope my Quicktime has a MPEG2 playback as I don't want to pay $20 to Apple!