Saturday, March 24, 2007

"Basic Camcorder Maintenance"

Camcorderinfo links to a couple of articles by Jake Luddington on this post. While it is necessary to have a DV cleaning cassette, my approach is to run those as needed and not on a regular basis as Jake Luddington recommends. Those cleaning cassettes wear down your heads--that's bad. I say only use them when you have clogged heads, which isn't that often in my experience. He does bring up the whole Sony vs other DV tapes issue. I sort of thought this was over, but he says that Sony tapes don't play well with others. We tend to be a Sony shop in terms of gear and tape stock. So I guess we are OK, as long as we don't throw too many other brands of tape into the mix. He also recommends buying a DV tape rewinder.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really have to read this article. 'Cuz I need to know how to take care of my baby! (canon xh-a1) I use panasonic tapes for my camcorder and plan to continue using it... JVC tapes caused drop frames on my camcorder, so no more JVC for my canon camcorder.
Once we experienced a drop frame at work when we used Panasonic tape on our Z-1. This kinda tells that we should stick to Sony tapes on our Z-1.