Saturday, March 24, 2007

What Is a Network Encoder?

I'm not really sure what a network encoder is, but Flip4Mac just announced one, Pipeline. It looks like a small box with a SDI input and an ethernet port, and that's about it for connections. Unlike AJA and Blackmagic products, it doesn't seem to need a host computer to run. So what happens to the video once it's inside the Pipeline box? Well it gets distributed over ethernet to FCP systems or systems running Flip4Mac's encoding software Episode. (They also mention "3rd party support.") Interesting concept. I could see using it with a DigitBeta deck, which is too expensive to put in every edit room (or any edit room at Link TV where we also don't have routed house video.) It will encode the video to DV25/50 and IMX 30/40/50, but not uncompressed codecs. It says its external encoding "allows fast ingest without burdening edit workstations". I like that idea, and at $1995 it seems affordable. The brief description leaves me with lots of questions, but we should learn more about it at NAB.

No comments: