Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Media 100 Back from the Dead

"Media 100 Producer: Media 100's New Software-Only Editor"

Frankly, I don't miss Media 100, but I know someone who does. The folks behind BorisFX have bought Media 100, and I think they could be the reliable developers that Media 100 has been missing for a long time now. This new software runs on Macs and will also run bundled with the AJA hardware cards Kona LH, Kona LHe, and Kona 3. Apparently you can mix different codecs and resolution in the timeline without rendering--that's one thing that FCP can't do (yet.) Sounds like this could live on the same system with FCP, but you have to screw around with drivers when you switch between apps to get AJA hardware to work. In addition to the Creative Cow article with the link above, the Creative Cow magazine also has a short article on Media 100 Producer with some more info (sign-up for future issues here.)

Generally, this would only interest me if I had some old Media 100 projects that I really needed to get to. It's supposed to open old project and old media. It costs $795 for the new Media 100 Producer software.

No comments: