Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Attend Adam Wilt University

There are sessions from the DV Expo conference available here. As I've written earlier, I'm a big fan of Adam Wilt, and you can get a full 3 hours of him here. I watched about an hour of this, and there are many golden nuggets of info about sub-$10K camcorder market (Z1, DVX100, PD-150, HVX200, etc.). I know I'm not a shooter, but there are many things in here that would have solved issues that I've had to deal with in post. Here's a couple of things that I picked out that have troubled me in the past. In countries with 50 Hz electrical systems, you can get bad flicker with fluorescent lights--so turn your shutter to 1/50 or 1/100 setting to get rid of the flicker. The PD-150 always has auto-shutter on, unless you manually punch in a shutter setting. The skin detail control actually removes skin detail. He does a good demo of how it works at the session. Skin detail's purpose: to make people with wrinkles, pores, and other imperfections look better.

I found this over at DV Guru. You need to register to watch, but I recommend it. Adam Wilt explains complex technical stuff very sucinctly. He makes you understand how these cameras work, and lets you know how to use that knowledge to make better pictures. There's also adamwilt.com, which is worth taking a look it.

No comments: