Friday, January 5, 2007

Sonnet Tempo E4P = Mac Pro HD Expansion


Consider this a plug, not for a product, but for AMUG (Arizona Mac Users Group.) They do awesome and incredibly thorough reviews with a focus on storage. They are really on top of the products for external SATA storage. In this review, AMUG puts a Sonnet PCIe card through its paces and get over 700 MB/sec. throughput out of it. Wow.

So SATA is great for uncompressed HD work, but for the standard-def work I do, I still prefer the G-RAID over external SATA most of the time. The $299 cost of this 4-port PCI-E SATA hosts card makes for a pricey entry point into SATA storage. While cheaper 2-port cards are available, 2 drives aren't enough to justify filling up a PCI-E slot. OK, so there's port multiplier storage devices (means you can have more than 1 drive per SATA port), but those aren't cheap either. I don't know what the future of firewire is, but for the moment SATA is not the slam-dunk replacement that I was hoping it would be.


Link

No comments: