This is a good video tutorial on doing basic upgrades on the new Mac Pro's. This is the kind of stuff that I do on our Macs--upgrade the RAM, add a hard drive, add a PCI card. This only applies for the new Intel Mac towers but the info is similar to what you would get for other Mac tower computers. Although adding a hard drive to a G5 can be much trickier than this.
The only thing I think it overlooks is emphasizing taking precautions against static electricity. A discharge of static electricity can fry your circuits. Especially this time of year when the humidity is low and people are wearing wool, there's lots of static electricy flying around. Precautions should be taken anytime you open up a computer or an piece of electronics. I always use a static wrist strap when I work with computer components. I also touch a metal cover to an empty PCI slot before I touch any computer components (that's assuming that there are covers for the empty PCI slots.)
Oh, the video also doesn't say basic stuff, like make sure the computer is off and unplugged before you open it up. Basically doing hardware upgrades isn't that hard on Mac towers, but there's always a possibility that you can mess up the computer if something goes wrong.
The video is done by dvcreators.net and I found the link over at DVGuru.com. I noticed that the Brightcove Video wasn't working. You can also get the video as part of DV Gear Talk podcast on 12/11/06.
Link to iTunes Podcast Feed
Link to Brightcove Video
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment