Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Watch out HDV, Here Comes AVCHD

This is an interesting poll on formats. The poll is from camcorderinfo.com where people reported what format they were most likely to buy into. HDV came out on top with 35%, but AVCHD, the tapeless format, raked in about 29% interest. And as I wrote earlier, there is no official way to edit AVCHD yet. Does that mean many shooters don't carry about editing or a lot of people can't wait to throw away their tape? The AVCHD format is split between people who were interested in the hard drive camcorders (14%), the SD card camcorders (11%), and the DVD camcorders (3%). But when you add that up, it represents a challenge to HDV. Granted, this is really a site geared towards consumers, but not totally (they do a lot of good covereage on the sub-$10k camera market with some kick-ass reviews now and then.) I've already bought two HDV decks, so I hope it'll be around for a while.

No comments: