Sunday, January 14, 2007

Good Stuff Over at DV.com

DV.com, which started out as a magazine, is not the same as it was during the DV heyday, but their stable of expert commentators is still around churning out good articles. I'm thinking of Adam Wilt who just put out a review of the new Canon XH-A1,which sounds like an awesome camera. Trish and Chris Meyer who recently wrote a good article "Brighter Whites, Richer Colors" about luminance values when working in After Effects. And Jay Rose, their sound guy, who just gave me this good tidbit in this article on echoes that I need to remember:
"Cut down the reflections. Hang sound blankets on the walls so they don't reflect as efficiently. Or spread movers' pads, fiberglass batts, production assistants, or anything else that'll absorb sound. Bunches of helium balloons can calm the echoes from hard domed ceilings."

We've been shooting some stuff in our office that sounds really boomy. Hopefully we can get a hold of some of the stuff that Jay talks about to cut down on the echo. I keep a copy of the Audio for Post Production book by Jay Rose around the office, which I recommend for both beginners and experienced editors who want to dig deep into sound issues.

You do need to register to use DV.com, but I think its worth it because of the quality of their articles.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The review of XH-A1 was really helpful for a new owner of XHA1 like me to read. Thanks, Matt.